Your meals decisions could possibly be your strongest vote of all. With each chew you’re taking, you possibly can vote for the well being you need — and for the world you need.
The affect of that vote transcends ideology, worldview, and politics. And on the finish of the day, the continual illnesses which can be killing tens of tens of millions of individuals yearly — most cancers, coronary heart illness, stroke, diabetes, and dementia — don’t care what political occasion you’re affiliated with. But they do care, and care an incredible deal, about what you eat.
Everybody wants meals to dwell. And all people wants wholesome meals to be wholesome.
At FRN, more often than not we maintain our focus on the unifying actuality of meals. We have 650,000 members from 180+ international locations who maintain many alternative cultural and political views. And that’s one thing we really feel happy with. We attempt to keep out of political echo-chambers and vitriol. Our selection is to focus much less on what divides us and extra on how we will create a more healthy world collectively.
At the identical time, we’re primarily based in the United States, the place there’s an election on the horizon. And the reality is that every part we stand for, together with how meals is grown, the way it’s processed, who has entry to wholesome meals and who doesn’t, and the way wholesome we’re as folks and as a nation, will likely be impacted by the outcomes.
We imagine wholesome democracy relies upon on the lively participation of the citizenry. Like a muscle, it will get stronger once we use it. So it’s in that spirit that we share the beneath assertion about meals coverage points, signed by a various vary of well being and wellness leaders.
— John Robbins and Ocean Robbins
Regarding the US Election:
Vote for a wholesome life and a wholesome world!
We are in the midst of one of the crucial extreme well being crises in human historical past — and never simply due to the present international pandemic. Before anybody had heard of COVID-19, charges of weight problems, diabetes, dementia, and lots of different illnesses had been skyrocketing. We had been already dealing with a devastating well being disaster that was killing greater than half one million Americans each single 12 months. And now, in the time of COVID-19, these affected by these circumstances are faring the worst.
We didn’t get this sick by probability. Government insurance policies, constructed by management from each events over the course of a long time, have fueled our well being disaster.
Industry lobbyists have captured elected officers on each side of the aisle, blocking public entry to secure and nutritious meals, preventive well being care, and a wholesome atmosphere. Far an excessive amount of energy and management have been positioned in the arms of the agrochemical business, drug firms, and company meals lobbyists — forward of the well being and well-being of individuals, communities, and our planet.
One of a very powerful votes of all is the one we forged 3 times daily — with our knives and forks. Our food plan and life-style decisions profoundly affect the course of our well being future and the well being of our nation and planet. But simply as necessary are the alternatives we make to elect our leaders — and the way we maintain them accountable to advance insurance policies that profit our well being and the planet as soon as they arrive into workplace.
Regardless of who’s in workplace, nevertheless, we are going to proceed to battle for meals and diet insurance policies that focus on stopping starvation, selling well being, and defending the atmosphere — moderately than on defending the income of big industries. These embrace insurance policies that:
- Support regenerative and natural agricultural practices that sequester carbon and produce nutrient-rich meals from wholesome soils.
- Subsidize small farms, natural farmers, CSAs, farmers markets, and growers of fruits, greens, and different health-promoting meals — whereas ending subsidies for junk meals and factory-farmed meat.
- Improve college diet applications, so they supply more healthy meals to extra youngsters.
- Fight racism and enhance well being fairness by stopping alcohol and junk meals firms from concentrating on low-income folks, minority teams, and youngsters.
- Expand public security by enacting rules on pesticides, industrial toxins, the routine use of antibiotics in industrial meat manufacturing, and the air pollution generated by manufacturing facility farms.
- Provide employee protections for farm laborers, meatpacking staff, restaurant staff, and different high-risk important meals staff.
- Require correct labeling of GMOs and animal remedy practices on meals merchandise.
But let’s be clear: The present administration has constantly proven itself to be intractably against the sorts of coverage adjustments we’re calling for. It has:
- Undermined scientific integrity in the creation of the dietary pointers for Americans by prohibiting dialogue of purple and processed meat, sodium, ultra-processed meals, and the affect on our surroundings.  
- Backslid on efforts to make college lunches more healthy, and minimize meals help applications by tens of billions of .  
- Made it simpler than ever for the meals business to cover the presence of GMOs in our meals.  
- Approved greater than 100 pesticides which can be banned in different international locations. 
- Repeatedly refused to acknowledge the overwhelming science-backed proof that local weather change poses a critical and pressing risk to our future.  
- Curtailed animal welfare protections and rules supposed to guard customers and the atmosphere from the hazards of manufacturing facility farms and meat processing crops.    
- Weakened protections for meals and farmworkers, inflicting hurt to Latinx, Black, and Indigenous communities, particularly throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.  
The present administration was elected on guarantees to “drain the swamp” and battle for the folks. But in actuality, it has additional perpetuated and deepened the very insurance policies that promote out public well being for the exorbitant income of junk meals, manufacturing facility farming, pharmaceutical, and pesticide industries.
We are keenly conscious that merely electing a distinct management received’t assure that we’ll accomplish our objectives or clear up our issues. It’s going to take concerted and sustained motion from tens of millions of individuals — mixed with constructive political management.
And this election could also be a very powerful in human historical past.
No matter what your background, age, revenue degree, or partisan beliefs, please don’t sit out this election. Your voice issues. And so does your vote.
The above is a joint assertion written in collaboration with leaders in the wellness neighborhood. Please share extensively and freely if it speaks to you.
Partial listing of signers (in alphabetical order) embrace:
Mark Bittman, Food Journalist
Zach Bush, MD, Founder, Farmers Footprint
Yami Cazorla-Lancaster, DO, MPH, Founder, Nourish Wellness
Seane Corn, Yoga Teacher and Author, Revolution of the Soul
Ryan Eliason, Founder, Social Entrepreneur Empowerment Network
Rip Esselstyn, Founder, Plant-Strong by Engine 2, Author of The Engine 2 Diet
Joel Fuhrman, MD, President, Nutritional Research Foundation
Kristi Funk, MD, Co-Founder & Medical Director, Pink Lotus Breast Center
Mimi Guarneri, MD, President, Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine
Thom Hartmann, Top 10 Syndicated Radio Host, Best-selling Author
David Katz, MD, MPH, President, True Health Initiative
Michael Klaper, MD, Founder, Moving Medicine Forward
Dave Murphy, founder, Food Democracy Now!
John Robbins, Author, Diet for a New America, President, Food Revolution Network
Ocean Robbins, CEO, Food Revolution Network
Alicia Silverstone, Actress & Author of The Kind Diet
Erica Sonnenburg, PhD and Justin Sonnenburg, PhD, Authors, The Good Gut
Kelly Turner, PhD, Author, Radical Remission
Marianne Williamson, Best-selling Author of Return To Love and A Politics of Love
Resources For Civic Participation
US Voter Registration
Every state besides North Dakota requires residents to register in the event that they need to grow to be voters. Depending on your state, the registration deadline could possibly be as a lot as a month earlier than an election. To discover out extra, register, or verify you’re registered, click on right here.
Vote Forward volunteers ship heartfelt handwritten letters to unregistered and low-propensity voters, encouraging them to take part in our democracy. The letters have been proven to considerably enhance voter turnout. You may help with as little as 20 minutes, from the consolation of your own home. Find out extra and be a part of in right here.
Comment beneath — What do you assume?
Whether you agree or disagree, whether or not you’re keen on this message or hate it, we do have one request:
Please, let’s maintain the dialog civil.
Let’s do not forget that there are numerous paths to a greater world. And that each one of us, or no less than most of us, desire a wholesome world for ourselves and for future generations. We can converse up, and converse passionately on meals coverage points, with out being imply.
Featured picture: iStock.com/Pingwin